What is ransomware?
According to TrendMicro, “Ransomware is a type of malware that prevents or limits users from accessing their system. This type of malware forces users to pay the ransom through certain online payment methods in order to grant access to their systems, or to get their data back.”
- Ransomware is readily-available and changes faster than detection technologies can respond
- In most cases, paying ransom is the only way to free hostage data and systems
- Recent successful ransom situations will only encourage more attempts
- Cryptocurrencies such as Bitcoin can be used to force untraceable ransom payments
- Without proper ransomware awareness training, humans are widely susceptible to phishing, the most commonly used ransomware attack vector
How does ransomware affect businesses?
Cofense co-founder Aaron Higbee explains ransomware and its business impact on CNBC:
With phishing still the #1 entry point for cyber-attacks, your defenses need to focus on the most pressing threats—active phishing campaigns that are probing your organization. This report breaks down the Top 10 threats, with metrics showing how well users respond to each.
Download the Free ReportLearn how 90% of verified phish were found in environments using secure email gateways (SEGs). That’s just one of the key findings in this expanded report, now covering phishing threats as well as malware developments. Download the 2019 Phishing Threat and Malware Review to learn new tactics threat actors are using to ensure malware delivery and tips for defending against evolving phishing and malware threats.
It’s not easy to keep up with today’s threats. Now, with Cofense Threat Alerts, you’ll have a simple way to stay on top of emerging phishing and malware threats and attacks, all delivered straight to your inbox. FREE.
Free Ransomware Resources
The State of Phishing Defense 2018
How susceptible are users to the top active threats? Find out, plus tips on defending your organization.
2019: Ransomware: A Mid-Year Summary
Recently, ransomware has given off the appearance of widespread destruction and rampant use.
That’s right. Free. Scorm-compliant learning modules, available in multiple languages.
Request a free demo today, no obligations, no softre to install